Your doctor might have prescribed for you Modafinil increase your alertness and keep you awake. Also, it could be that you are suffering from excessive sleepiness mostly related to narcolepsy, obstructive apnea/hypopnea syndrome or shift work sleep disorder. If you are wondering about Modafinil side effects, we have provided a comprehensive list just for you.
Common Modafinil side effects are headaches and nausea. Other Modafinil side effects that have been reported by patients include anorexia and xerostomia. Below is a detailed list of Modafinil side effects.
As much as this drug has its benefits, it may bring about some unwanted side effects. These side effects may not necessarily occur, but in case they do, ensure you seek medical advice from your healthcare professional as soon as possible.
Modafinil Side effects
The less common Modafinil side effects include:
- Black or tarry stools
- Unusual tiredness or weakness, especially if it is occurring frequently
- Blurred vision or other vision changes
- Unusual bleeding from an opening in the body or bruising
- Chest pain
- Uncontrolled movements of the tongue, mouth or face
- Chills or fever
- Trouble in urinating
- Failure to keep your movements steady or clumsiness
- Uncontrolled trembling or shaking
- Constant confusion
- A sore throat
- Frequent dizziness or fainting
- Shortness of breath or difficulty in breathing
- Increased thirst and urination
- Rapidly changing of moods
- Sudden mental depression that was never there in the first place
- Problems of memory or loss of memory
Symptoms of Overdose
A situation may arise where you take more of the drug that was prescribed. It may then lead to a situation whereby your body reacts to it. If you notice the following symptoms of overdose, it is essential to call your doctor immediately for urgent attention.
- Agitation or excitement
- Trouble with sleeping
- Fast or pounding heartbeat
- Increased blood pressure
It is important to heed to the dosage as prescribed by the doctor to avoid the symptoms. Also, an overdose may be fatal, so it is crucial to be keen.
In some instances, Modafinil side effects may occur and may not require medical attention. Most of the time, the side effects go away during the period of your treatment as the body gets used to the medicine administered.
Additionally, you can ask your doctor or any other healthcare professional in the ways you can implement to prevent or reduce some of Modafinil side effects. If any of the mentioned Modafinil side effects are persistent or bothersome and you would like to inquire about them, check with your doctor or healthcare professional.
The most common include
- a headache,
- and nervousness.
Less Common Modafinil side effects
The less common Modafinil side effects rarely occur, but if they do, seek medical advice. They include:
- Within the first few weeks, Modafinil can cause a severe rash. However, this is in rare cases. This rash can be accompanied by vomiting and fever, which may ultimately lead to problems with the liver, lungs, kidneys, and heart.
- In the event you develop a rash while taking this drug, it is of utmost importance to call your healthcare professional right away. If the rash is related to Modafinil, you may have to discontinue its use.
Severe Allergic Reaction
It is also rare for people who take this drug to get an allergic reaction. The symptoms of such a reaction include:
- Severe rash or hives
- Rapid heartbeat
- Trouble breathing or swallowing
- Swelling of your lips, tongue, or face
If found that the drug is related to an allergic reaction, it is likely that you will need to stop taking it.
These usually occur in people with a heart condition or high blood pressure. Nonetheless, it can also happen to those without heart conditions. The symptoms to look out for include:
- Chest pain
- High blood pressure that requires treatment with medication
- Frequent palpitations (pounding heartbeat)
- Difficulty in breathing
When you notice these side effects, seek medical attention immediately. Your doctor or healthcare professional may have to check you for any heart conditions, as well as monitor your heart rate and blood pressure.
Mental Health Effects
Using Modafinil can bring about mood or mental health-related side effects that include:
- Feelings of nervousness
In some instances, these side effects can become severe. Also, in some rare cases, some people who have taken this drug have had thoughts of suicide, symptoms of psychosis (such as delusions or hallucinations), mania and aggression. However, it is important to note that these specific Modafinil side effects, mostly occur in people who have had a history of mental health-related problems.
Dependence on Modafinil
When you use Modafinil, it can lead to long-term side effects that may increase the risk of developing physical and psychological dependence. This side effect, nevertheless, is known to be rare. Also, it mostly occurs when the drug is taken in high doses, or if it is misused or abused.
Abuse of the drug is also not common. It is likely to occur in people who have had a history of alcohol or drug abuse.
In regards to withdrawal symptoms, most people do not seem to have it in the event they discontinue use of the drug.
Modafinil can interact with several drugs such as
- and among others.
These interactions can lead to increase side effects or lowering the efficacy of the drug itself. In case you are taking a drug that may interact with Modafinil, it is essential to let your doctor know. This way, he or she may give you an alternative of Modafinil or advice you on discontinuing the use of other drugs.
It is vital that you are keen while taking Modafinil so that you can identify some of these side effects. This is not a complete list of possible side effects. If you notice other effects that are not listed and you are concerned about, contact your doctor or pharmacist to get the necessary medical advice.