As the popularity of Modafinil as a stimulant is on the rise, one would wonder if it is wise to mix it with alcohol. This article will look at the consequences of combining Modafinil and alcohol into detail. Modafinil also is known by another name Provigil has been around for more than 17 years and marketed in over 20 countries.
The medicine helps with treating disorders like chronic fatigue. Not only does Modafinil treat fatigue by reducing it but also helps to increase vigilance as well as improve memory reaction and at the same time enhance one’s mood and motivation.
Modafinil has proven to be quite effective in that most governments around the world use it for their military, space explorations, and also medical programs. Another good thing about Modafinil is that it can easily be bought online. However, you have to exercise caution when purchasing online not to fall a victim of online scams.
Modafinil Usage with Alcohol
Modafinil is generally used to promote wakefulness in individuals who suffer from sleep disorders such as insomnia. Most people ask “Can I mix Modafinil with alcohol”? This can be a very risky move, and we will get to discuss this and much more.
- Mixing Modafinil and alcohol can cause various reactions which include; increase in alcohol tolerance and significant blackouts. It is therefore not recommended to mix Modafinil and alcohol.
- More research, however, needs to be done to confirm the effects that result from combining these two. Mixing Modafinil with alcohol has been reported to cause blackouts by individuals that are taking the drug for its cognitive-enhancing effects.
- There are those that experience a rise in alcohol tolerance and also difficulty in feeling drunk in spite of them having taken more drinks than the standard recommended. Both alcohol and Modafinil have opposite effects on brain chemistry; this is mainly because it increases neurotransmitter GABA activity and at the same time decrease glutamate activity.
- Therefore, the ending result of combining the two substances is a tug of war since they are two opposing transmitters. Alcohol depresses the activity of the brain in one direction while Modafinil stimulates the brain’s activity in the other direction.
Side Effects of Mixing Alcohol and Modafinil
You should not take Modafinil with opioids like oxycodone as it can lead to reduced plasma concentrations and may also trigger withdrawal symptoms. When you mix alcohol with Modafinil, it can cause complications that are entirely unpredictable like the ones we mentioned earlier which are blackout and alcohol tolerance.
Other side effects of using Modafinil include
- skin rash,
- intestinal discomfort,
- and even diarrhea.
Modafinil can also trigger histamine response in all patients, and the bad thing is that it can be extremely severe in some patients. Due to the severe side effects, one may be asked to discontinue using the drug to recover. Hence, it is essential to have the guidance of a professional whenever one is using Modafinil, whereas a physician will closely monitor its effects on someone and advice.
Modafinil is popular because it is known to aid in enhancing mental alertness and boost motivation. However, it can also be habit-forming in that the long-term use of the drug can cause addiction and severe complications to a patient. This is the reason why it is usually recommended for short-term use to avoid addictions and more difficulties.
- It is safe to use Modafinil because it is considered to be well tolerated by most humans. There haven’t been any death reports from the use of the drug in over 17 years which shows that it is safe to use.
- Being used in more than 20 countries and even in some militaries of various countries also shows that it is a safe drug for usage. Modafinil is quite safe only if taken within the prescription provided by the physician, without abusing the medication.
- Another good thing about Modafinil is that it gives you 10 hours of uninterrupted peak performance once you ingest. This means that it is highly effective at ensuring a person’s brain is alert, and they are free from suffering the effects of fatigue.
- However, one way to ensure your safety when using Modafinil is not to mix with alcohol. You should avoid drinking alcohol when taking Modafinil. The emphasis on not taking alcohol with Modafinil is due to the unique effects that may arise from this mixture that no one would desire for themselves or even for their loved ones.
Using Modafinil and alcohol at the same time shows that there are times when either of the two might overtake the other in terms of effects, and this is the reason you need to make sure you don’t combine either of the two substances. This will go a long way to ensure you stay safe and healthy while taking the medication.
Also, as mentioned earlier on how we discussed the benefits and effects of the drug, ensure that you use moderately and seek medical advice if you are unsure on how to go about on using Modafinil. Make sure not to underdose or overdose on the drug. If you or someone you know happens to overdose on Modafinil contact emergency services immediately.
The consequences of an overdose could be dire and will require immediate medical assistance. Though the main precaution is to be careful when using the medication and follow the prescription provided.
Therefore, to be on the safe side, it is only wise that one avoids mixing Modafinil and alcohol. There is no benefit of combining these two, and the consequences are not desirable as discussed above. Once a physician has prescribed Modafinil to a person for whichever reason, it is best that they avoid taking alcohol as they take the medication. This way, they are bound to gain the positive benefits of Modafinil without harmful interruptions.